Monday 16 November 2009

Read Platform




Platform has gone from being totally unknown by me to one of my favourite places to go on the internet. I first read about it whilst perusing a guardian article about sites made by (and for) young people, which made me a little cynical admittedly since I thought it'd be purely composed of crass 'edgy' articles, a little bit like the tongue in cheek article how to pick up children which has been featured on the site this week, and yoof slang but when I finally got round to looking at it I actually found the site to be quite refreshing.

Not only for the fact that the editorial content covers in knowledgeable fashion the some of the most popular elements of youth culture insert compulsory < "what booze drugs sex?"> comment here but this is also bolstered by the use of cross site material from places like lookbook.nu and coverage of up and coming bands such as the casio drums and guitar toting Internet Forever and US punks Pissed In The Eye. The site also updates ridiculously fast, so there is always something new to look at whenever you check back. Although I suppose the only disadvantage of this is that articles don't stick around long on the front page and it can be a bit tricky to find older articles.

One of my favourite regular features is the Secret Diary Of A Teenage Boy which achieves that rare standard of being realistic without compromising on being humorous. The 'I'm joking' paragraph in his latest entry is funniest things I've read in awhile which probably hints at the fact that I should probably read more. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment